In Canada there are several ways concerned individuals and groups can sponsor refugees. The Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program enables groups to sponsor refugees from abroad who qualify to come to Canada. There are four ways this can take place:

1. Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAH)
An SAH is a mechanism designed to expedite the process of sponsoring refugees, by allowing incorporated organizations to sign an agreement with the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Canada to resettle refugees from abroad through the Private Sponsorship of Refugee Program. Most sponsorship agreement holders are religious, ethnic, community or service organizations. Read more →

2. Groups of Five (G5)
This is a specific sponsorship program available through the Canadian government, which enables groups of five or more Canadian citizens or permanent residents to arrange to sponsor a refugee living abroad to come to Canada. Read more →

3. Community Groups
An organization, association or a corporation can sponsor a refugee if they can provide full emotional and financial support for the entire sponsorship period (1 year). Read more →

4. Blended Visa Program
Blended Visa Office-Referred (BVOR) Program is a three-way partnership with the Government of Canada, the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and and private sponsors. The government provides up to six months of income support through the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) and the private sponsor is responsible for the rest. Read more →

All sponsors commit to provide financial and emotional support for the refugees for at least one year or until the newcomers are self-sufficient. This includes:

  • Housing
  • Food
  • Clothing
  • Language Learning
  • Medical
  • Transportation
  • Education
  • Sourcing employment
  • Community & friendship

These all contribute towards the goal of sponsored refugees becoming self-sufficient in Canada within a year.