Help Support Refugees in Kelowna
Who Are We?
We are a grassroots network of professionals and organizations collaborating together towards a unified response to supporting refugees in the beautiful Okanagan Valley in British Columbia.
- Advocacy – on issues that impact refugees as they settle in our community. This includes supporting community-wide and largescale housing solutions and advocating on other issues that impact refugees who move to the Kelowna area.
- Coordination – ORCA aims to provide a central location where sponsorship groups and interested parties can find information, volunteer, donate time/funds, and share resources about refugee settlement in the Okanagan. By coordinating with all groups involved in refugee sponsorship and settlement, we are also able to help identify and address gaps in services.
- Communication and education – raise awareness in our community about refugees.
- Refugee Support – ORCA aims to assist refugee settlement through ‘support pods’, or small teams of volunteers who are committed to each government assisted refugee family.
- Raising Funds – Helping link interested parties with relevant information to financially support or sponsor refugee families.
ORCA is a member of the Canadian Council for Refugees, a national non-profit umbrella organization committed to the rights and protection of refugees and other vulnerable migrants in Canada.
Photo by: Sunny Goel, "Downtown Kelowna and Okanagan Lake as viewed from the parking lot at Knox Mountain." Used under Creative Commons license.